Actavis has a growing Specialty Brands pipeline, driven by Women’s Health and Urology products. Our pipeline currently has a number of products in various stages of development in Women’s Health and Urology.
Actavis continues to focus its business development efforts on finding new opportunities to invest in this business and to add additional products to the pipeline.
The Actavis Specialty Brands R&D strategy focuses on the following product development areas:
- The application of proprietary drug-delivery technology for new product development in specialty areas; and
- The acquisition of mid-to-late development-stage brand drugs and biosimilars
Our Global Brands product development pipeline includes:
- A second generation progesterone vaginal gel for infertility,
- Esmya™ in Canada for pre-surgical reduction of menstrual bleeding associated with uterine fibroids and in the U.S. for long-term uterine sparing,
- Two novel long-acting contraceptives in late stage development: a progestin-only patch and a vaginal ring.
We also have a number of products in development as part of our life-cycle management strategy on our existing product portfolio.
With the acquisition of Uteron Pharma SA in January of 2013, we added three near-term products to our brand pipeline including Levosert® and Estelle® in contraception, Diafert® in infertility, and several additional products in earlier stages of development.
- Levosert® is an Intrauterine Device (IUD) for the indications of long term contraception and treatment of heavy bleeding. The product is currently pending approval in several EU countries, for first indication and is in late Phase III development for the U.S. market. Actavis has marketing rights for Levosert® in Western Europe and other regions and is partnered with third parties in certain eastern European countries and in the U.S. and certain other countries.
- Diafert® is a non-invasive immunoassay kit for the assessment of oocyte (egg) quality during in-vitro fertilization (IVF). Diafert® is currently preparing for CE mark registration in the EU and will enter in Phase III development in the U.S.
- Estelle® is a novel oral contraceptive product being developed for global markets and is currently in late Phase II development
- Products in early stage development include Colvir, which is being studied for the treatment of premalignant Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) lesions of the uterine cervix and Vaginate, being developed for the potential treatment of bacterial vaginosis.